Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Author Topic: Font ID: Valiant Bold  (Read 4849 times)

Laura

Font ID: Valiant Bold
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:58:26 PM »
I am a typography student and my teacher has tasked me with identifying a font on a flash card. I used identifont.com and saw that it is very similar to ITC Honda which was created in the 1970s. My teacher said that the font on the flash card is a metal type and ITC Honda was probably based on it.  I can't figure out how to upload the image, but ITC Honda can be seen at http://www.identifont.com/show?7L5   If anyone knows which metal typeface this is based on, I would be grateful!! Thanks, Laura

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Re: Help Identifying Metal Type
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:55:30 PM »
Looks like a faux Germanic font to me

Join the UK's best craft beer club and get £12 off your first case - Claim Now

Dan Williams

• Son of Ottmar
  • 22/06/2006
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:11:36 AM »
I glanced through the 1926 ATF Book, my "contemporary" Art Directors Book of Type Faces , the big red Linotype book and several intertype books, and the only thing that I could find that was similar was from the "contemporary" Typefounders of Chicago book issued by Dave Kriger in the mid to late nineteen-seventies.
The face  found on page 121 of the newer Typefounders of Chicago book is titled Valiant Bold and is oh-so-very similiar to the one that Laura has posted. Not exact, but very similiar. I did not check to see whether modern ATF  had  similiar competing faux-bohemian-gothic-sans serif styles.
I believe that this Valient was probably also inspired by something else......from overseas.
The font has a definite, unmistakable post-modern Bavarian BAUHAUS smack about it.
Dan

SwissTypesetter

• Journeyman
  • 28/06/2006
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »
I don't know this specific font, but it shouldn't be of German origin, because it lacks the "long s" (like the "f" without the slash across).

Regards, Andy

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:08:09 PM »
Here's a digital version of Valiant:
Join the UK's best craft beer club and get £12 off your first case - Claim Now