Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Font ID: Valiant Bold

Started by Laura, September 05, 2006, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Laura

I am a typography student and my teacher has tasked me with identifying a font on a flash card. I used identifont.com and saw that it is very similar to ITC Honda which was created in the 1970s. My teacher said that the font on the flash card is a metal type and ITC Honda was probably based on it.  I can't figure out how to upload the image, but ITC Honda can be seen at http://www.identifont.com/show?7L5   If anyone knows which metal typeface this is based on, I would be grateful!! Thanks, Laura

Dave Hughes

Looks like a faux Germanic font to me

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dan Williams

I glanced through the 1926 ATF Book, my "contemporary" Art Directors Book of Type Faces , the big red Linotype book and several intertype books, and the only thing that I could find that was similar was from the "contemporary" Typefounders of Chicago book issued by Dave Kriger in the mid to late nineteen-seventies.
The face  found on page 121 of the newer Typefounders of Chicago book is titled Valiant Bold and is oh-so-very similiar to the one that Laura has posted. Not exact, but very similiar. I did not check to see whether modern ATF  had  similiar competing faux-bohemian-gothic-sans serif styles.
I believe that this Valient was probably also inspired by something else......from overseas.
The font has a definite, unmistakable post-modern Bavarian BAUHAUS smack about it.
Dan

SwissTypesetter

I don't know this specific font, but it shouldn't be of German origin, because it lacks the "long s" (like the "f" without the slash across).

Regards, Andy

Dave Hughes

Here's a digital version of Valiant:
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚