Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Clamps for the composition caster

Started by John Cornelisse, June 04, 2016, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

For the machine in Villalba we need both of them, a48E and a49E, this last round piece is missing on my second machine too.

We would be pleased with originals,

a49E                                                a48E

a48E                                                a49E

John Cornelisse

Found !

In Poland, at the BookArtMuseum in Lodz.

Many thanks, that will help us to restart the machine in Vilalba.

Dave Hughes

Glad to hear you found the parts, John. Was it a direct result of this new board?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Keri Szafir

Not exactly; John has been friends with our museum since the first Monotype University in Geneva, and I've been working with him for over two years; we help each other a lot with missing parts etc. :)
But having a board like this will surely help if more people are interested and active on the forum.

PS. Perhaps the clamp can be taken off and used on the other caster after you tighten the bottom screws? The mould should sit firmly in position by then.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

John Cornelisse

These parts are actually not particular difficult to produce.  A long time already I know an old man Tjitze Mast, living in The Haque.

He is almost 79 years of age now, I never saw him without pension. Now I'm almost 69 myself....

Always active, each week sporting, cannot say I do that this much. He was long time active at the Technical Museum of the University of Delft. Known from solar cars and more.

To be short, I just got another composition caster, and giving things away... the reserves will get depleted... So when I last visited this friend and big help, I did ask him whether he was able to copy a few of these pieces.

There was more than enough little iron parts in the box where he has his left overs. So this will happen.

John Cornelisse

The parts have been finished.

On my second machine - I recently acquired - there was one missing too, now it can be taking into action.

This machine has - like my first machine - a MNH-attachment, quite rare in fact. This attachment
needs also wedges with 16 positions.

Those wedges are rather hard to find.... Up to now I have only one of them....

MNH means an extra pin, to go up and down.  Normally the pin of the 15th row has a spring under it, to
make it permanently up. Here a 16th pin has that function. I disabled this on my machines. Both have
unit-shift on them too.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚