Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

sharing wedges

Started by John Cornelisse, May 30, 2016, 01:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

The past two week of May 2016 I was busy with two Monotype casters. They were cleaned, and restored as far as possible.

These are the machines formally stored at the museum in Winterthur Switserland.

When we started it was quite impossible to turn the mechanism of both machines around.

But, two weeks of nice sunny weather made it possible to clean all parts in the garden. Only the very last day when we were already stopped, the rain came again. We were that lucky.

All this happened in the beautiful Spanish town of Villalba, some 50 kilometres away from Madrid.

Not much locations in Spain where you can find a Monotype machine... But these two... they will be running en casting after my second visit I do hope.

Soon I hope to add a few pictures of these machines...

Another problem... Wedges...

I left there a set of 10 wedges, all the spares I have available.

In future I'm willing to share my wedges spare parts and a lot more...

However sending them by post all the way, and back. It would be a lot more easy to have more wedges available in Villalba.
I do not have all, you might be in need of something too....
when we all are willing to help each other, we might be able to fulfil all our dreams and projects.

Could I ask this community, what spare wedges do you have available ? And could we share these precious assets ?
If possible please let me know what this would cost.

Sharing,

in future I hope to be able to start a Monotype community, with people that are willing to share knowledge, experience, spare parts and all other materials.

Keri Szafir

I have three redundant wedges:
S5-8.25E
S5-8.5E
S5-9.75E
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

Dave Hughes

Quoten future I hope to be able to start a Monotype community, with people that are willing to share knowledge, experience, spare parts and all other materials.

If there's anything I can do to help that, using the existing facilities at Metal Type, please let me know. Maybe a new board, or sub-board, perhaps.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

John Cornelisse

Up till now I know some 4 Monotype users that are willing to take part in this community. Myself included.

It would a great thing when we would be able to make this community work.

Nobody has every thing, nobody is able to do all we need. Together we might be able to fulfil all our dreams and plans.

It proofed already a great help, at some moment we lost a part, and from 2000 kilometres far that part was sent to us.

John Cornelisse

Would it possible to start a new board with the title above ?

To have a group of people and maybe museums that are willing to support each other
with anything we might need for our machines...

There we might have also a question-board for missing spare parts and other items.

It would be handy to know, where you could find a helping hand.

Casting with these machines... you need to be able to maintain them too. But this could be
sometimes one or more bridges too far.

Actually I think this would be something usefull for Lino/Intertype or Ludlow too.

Dave Hughes

You should be able to see the new boards now.

Please let me know if you would like any new "sub sections" creating or the current ones modifying.

Topics from the Old Monotype Chat board have now been moved to the Monotype Community board, under Moved Topics. Sorry for any confusion!

Keri Szafir

Thanks; looks really nice now.
I'd appreciate a "stories and experiences" section for sharing real-life knowledge, sometimes learnt the hard way and useful for others.
Something like the posts on http://www.papertrail.ca/blog/ or http://adventuresintypefounding.tumblr.com/
"RTFM" fails with Monotype - manuals were written by those who didn't need them anymore. it's surprising how many repair/adjustment instructions and descriptions are confusing or missing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

Dave Hughes

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚