Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Asbestos materials in Linotype machines

Started by gordonmilligan, February 11, 2009, 04:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

gordonmilligan

I am pursuing a compensation claim on behalf of the husband of a woman who is dying from malignant mesothelioma, an asbestos related tumour.  It is believed she was exposed to asbestos whilst working alongside her husband when he worked as a typesetter on a Linotype machine in the late 1970's/early 1980's. She contracted malignant mesothelioma as a result of his asbestos exposure.
There are a variety of conditions which are thought to be caused by inhaling asbestos and they can take many years to develop.  Malignant mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer which most commonly occurs in the lining of the lungs and is extremely rare in the absence of asbestos exposure.  Symptoms typically start with breathlessness and chest pain and the condition is often associated with a rapid and significant weight loss and heavy and sudden sweating, typically at night.
I am keen to speak with anyone who is able to provide information as to whether there was an asbestos lining present in newer Linotype machines.
I can be contacted on 0044 (0)118 952 7199 or by email gmilligan@boyesturner.com.
Thank you

Dave Hughes

Hi Gordon, and welcome to the Metal Type forum!

I noticed you asked if asbestos was present in "newer" Linotype machines.

Do you knoiw what model he operated? Just because he was operating the machine in the late 70s, early 80s it is not safe to assume it was a "newer" model. The machines had a very long working life.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Gordon Milligan

Dave,
Regretably we don't know the model of the machine used in the deceaseds place of work. In the circumstances it would be helpful to know roughly when linotype stopped producing machines containing asbestos.

Dave Hughes

Gordon, not sure if you've searched the forum, but this old thread:

http://www.metaltype.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72.0.html

I think, puts a little perspective on the matter.

I think (and hope, being an ex-operator myself!) that it would be quite difficult for someone who merely operated the machine to be subjected to dangerous amounts of asbestos.

The manufacturing of the machines, or doing extensive maintenance work, particularly on the metal pot, may be a different matter.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚