Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linograph?

Started by Mechanic, December 21, 2008, 07:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

The following web page will be of interest to old operators of hotmetal linecasters. It shows a picture of two boys seated at a linecasting machine which is said to be a Linotype. I believe the machine is a Linograph. Details of the Linograph machine can be found on the photo pages on this site.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/ModernMechanix/11-1936/young_printer.jpg

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

I think you're probably right George, although there were many different models of the Linograph and its appearance seemed to change quite dramatically as it evolved.

Here's a couple of Linograph pics from this site:

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Mergenthaler also manufactured a couple of Linotype models with a short magazine. The Model 10 and the model 15, which superseded the model 10.

They were small single magazine machines. The magazine held fourteen matrices to the channel instead of the usual twenty.

In 1957, just before I went to Canada, I installed an old model 8 Linotype, in a print shop in Narrandera NSW. The model 8 was replacing a model 15 Linotype. I had to strip the model 15 for shipping to another printer. This was the first and only machine of this type that I have seen.

I believe that the, Gulgong Pioneers Museum in Gulgong, NSW has one in their print shop.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dan Williams

Linographs I believe were victims of the second world war and subsequent material shortages. I believe that the company was procured by the Intertype Corporation at about that time. Model 15s were more common in the USA in the numerous small newspapers that existed before the offset/consolidation juggernaut of the 1960s. I think that is the case because they are mentioned in Graphic Arts Monthly columns from the 1950s.
Great photos, by the way.

Mechanic

Preserving an historic building. I found this advertisment on the internet

Welcome to Riverwalk Lofts. Built in 1919, the building originally housed The Linograph Company, a typesetting machine manufacturer. The building is eligible to be listed on The National Register of Historic Places and has been carefully restored into 1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. Imagine yourself at home in this magnificent piece of history.

http://www.riverwalkloftsapts.com/

Good retirement spot for old hotmetal operators and mechanics
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚