Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Query about an Intertype Model

Started by Pi, September 10, 2008, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Pi

About 1977-78, I left the Commercial Print at Taranaki Newspapers, (New Plymouth, NZ) after having completed my apprenticeship, and a few years. The first machine "they" gave me to work on, probably after my first year slaving as everything but a Linotype operator, was an old Model 8 that had a buckled mold wheel, but had a Mohr saw. Later, I was promoted to one of the two model 31's we had. Luxury. Thinking that I had my share of hot metal, I moved on to another company in New Plymouth, but went there initially as a storeman, cutting paper pre-press, finishing, but on occasions, using their Intertype.
The Intertype ran especially well and over the seven years I was with that firm, I cannot recall a problem that required outside help to fix, such was the reliability of the machine. When I left Masterprint, I lost touch with many of the staff and what become of that machine. Now I am wrestling with trying to figure out what model it was. This is where some of the readers can help? It had a star base and had side magazines, but unlike the SM's of Linotypes or later Intertypes I have seen, there were three side magazines on this older machine, arranged in a triangle - one sitting over the reeds and the other two forming the apex of the triangle above. It had three main magazines and had the leap-frog, winding mag change. Also, it was a "back loader". Age-wise, I would have guessed the machine to possibly have been manufactured in the 1930's, but that is a guess.
Can anyone tell me what model this machine was? Perhaps someone has a photo they might like to share?

Mechanic

I know next to nothing about Intertype machines, but I am learning having been responsible for maintenance of a C4 for the last couple of years. In my search for information I did find that there are a number of Intertype photographs on this site. Have a look at

http://www.metaltype.co.uk/photos/photo35.shtml

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Bruce Anderton

It is a Model C3-3SM, and I had the pleasure (?) of operating one such when I worked for a trade typesetting company more years ago than I now care to remember. Most of the keyboarding I undertook was in normal text sizes (8/10/12pt), but the machine would happily turn out 30 and 36pt just as easily, when one had to use both keyboards.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚