Main Menu
Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon

Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Kluge Feeder Adjustments

Started by Dave Hughes, March 14, 2008, 02:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Hughes

Blair Wolfe contacted me by email with the following technical enquiry:

I have recently acquired a 12 x 18 C&P with a Kluge feeder and foil draw for foil stamping. I also need to do some short run die cutting, scorring & perforating from time to time. Does any one have any good information about the correct adjustments of the feeder unit for dependable feeding? We have instaled a good vacuum/pressure pump to get good pick up ability, but the suckers appear to run too close to the feed table, and I think there is probably a lot of small adjustments that they would have made in the old days. Does any one go back that far?

Anyone with expertise in this area?
Get email notifications of new posts on this Forum - Join the Mailing List
--::--
10-Minute Forum Training, learn about the New Features - Read this Post

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

I cut my teeth on a 10" x 15" version of the same animal but without the foil gear and have the highest regard for the general usefullness and versatility of the machine.

I have never sighted an instruction book or even a hint sheet for the feed and delivery systems of the Brandjen and Kluge add-on for C & P though I suspect there must be something writ somewhere which would give the basic dos-and-don'ts.  The rest is common sense and experience gained daily.

Every change of stock type or size may need a different setting though once the feeder is set up properly the changes in most cases are usually of a minor nature.

Where is the machine situated??

That knowledge made public could inspire an ageing machinist not too far away from wherever to spring out of his/her bath chair and accept the challenge to instruct.

Again - great machine - this is the unit that most times will handle the jobs that give trouble on the Heidelberg Platen and British Thompson --- I have had them all and consider that ideally, you can do with one of each.

jeffo

Andy Keck

I'm still removing decades of semi-solid crud from my Kluge, so I'm not exactly a wellspring of information. I can say that I've found the manual on the Boxcar Press site to be helpful. With my press, I also received a similar photocopied book of instruction.

http://www.boxcarpress.com/community/manuals/kluge-operation.pdf

Better yet, the George Mills book, Platen Press Operation, has a section on the Kluge feeder that looks like it will be useful when I'm done cleaning and ready to start printing.

Jimbo

::)If someone could enlighten me with regards to the Kluge Feeder I might be able to answer quite a few questions with regard to same.  My question is... is this the same feeder setup as installed on the Kluge presses?  If so, we're in good shape.  Those I have to deal with on an almost daily basis. (And for these past many years).  Let me know...

Jimbo

one stop print

I have in my library material on the Kluge press having owned two models 10x15 and a 18x13  both were printing presses but the larger one was used for cutting thick card to make mount boards etc. I will try and find them and copy them to PDF and send.

Colin

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview