Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Intertype in Istanbul

Started by Dave Hughes, January 03, 2008, 05:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I spotted this video, which has been added to Youtube quite recently. A fairly modern Intertype that looks like it is being used on a commercial basis.

It would seem that Intertypes are the machine of choice for people still using linecasters in the 21st Century!

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Patrick Leary

The fact that this video was shot in Turkey [combined with your subtle boost for Intertype] reminds me of an anecdote from "Merchant of Alphabets" by a longtime Mergenthaler salesman early in the Twentieth Century. He was calling on a Sultan in Constantinople and an office window looked down on former quarters for the sultan's harem. The sultan informed him they were going to purchase/install four or five Intertypes in the Turkish government plant because they'd heard Intertypes had less moving parts. The Mergenthaler salesman summoned the sultan to the window. "Now in your harem, the concubines were guarded and protected by eunuchs, who have 'less parts' than you; does that make them better men?" According to the book, once the sultan quit laughing, he asked "where do I sign?"

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚