Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

London Evening News Picture

Started by stumball, December 12, 2007, 05:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

stumball

Hi,

I've just found this site and find it fascinating, I was a hot metal compositor for a few years in Basingstoke after six years in Brentford at FJ Milner & Sons from 1970 to 1976, the pictures bring back the glory days. Still in print in Basingstoke at the Basingstoke Gazette, typesetting on Computers.

My father worked at the Evening News from the 1960's through to the closure 'Stan Ballard'. I would be interested in hearing anything about those times from anybody who knew him.

Unfortunately my father died in 1988.

I look forward to hearing from anyone regarding this

All the best

Steve Ballard

Dave Hughes

Welcome to the Metal Type forum Steve, I hope you find it useful.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

It's been over three years now, but John Bowles has just been in touch and sent me a picture, and story, about your father Steve.

I hope you are still in contact with Metal Type, I shall be getting the photograph and story about your father up on the site hopefully early next week.

Dave Hughes

gary church

My father (Edward Church) also worked on the Evening News from about 1965 to its closure and I remember him mentioning Stan Ballard.  My father died earlier this year (31st Jan 2017) and was searching looking for ex-colleagues I could inform of his passing.  I realize this is an old thread now but thought I'd just mention my Dad knew him

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚