Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype Matrix Reshaper

Started by Dave Hughes, September 18, 2007, 09:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Noticed this recently on eBay.

Advertiser's Description:

QuoteHere is a vintage Linotype Matrix Re-Shaper, Model B, patent Perry E. Kent. It came from an old commercial printing house that had a Model 5 and 14 Mergenthaler Linotype.

Here's a link to the item if anyone wants to bid!

Anyone come across one of these, can't say I have! I think I can see where the mats teeth will engage at the top.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Pi

Hi Dave,
I have seen one of those gadgets in the One Stop Print Shop in Hawera, New Zealand, recently. The owner still operates hot metal machines there. Neither of us could figure out how it was meant to work, to make good, a damaged mat. From memory, it has a spring-loading. The only thing I could think of that it could possibly do, was re-cut damaged teeth. Can anyone else add to this?
Now there's an item that needs more than words and a picture to fully explain.
Cheers,
Terry
TATATM

Pat Leary

You're right about the portion to repair damaged combination teeth. A couple of the other sites on the device are to repair lugs . . . the opening is designed to accommodate the top lugs and there should be another on there to snugly hold the bottom lugs. Another item sold was called a matrix "anvil." It also had part of a distributor rail on it for repairing matrix teeth. It was designed to go atop a machinist's bench.

Andy Keck

I've got one of these. If I get motivated enough, I'll take some photos of it in operation. I've only attempted to a few mats with really badly damaged teeth and have not had much success. I've been reluctant to use it on any mats with teeth only a little misaligned for fear of finishing the job of destruction.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚