Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Rubber for cleaning mats

Started by Dave Hughes, May 21, 2007, 11:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Andy Taylor poses the following question, it's stumped me, anyone else got any ideas?

QuoteDave when I was an apprentice I remember cleaning mats with a rubber of
what kind I know not, do you or anyone on the forum know of what type,
was it a special one, I've bought a load of Ludlow mats some are new
pristine but others are black with the usual comp room crap on. I tried
using my daughters college rubber but it took a lot of rubbing and ended
up nackering the rubber and cleaning one mat. I don't think I can afford
that many rubbers.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Steve Young

I used to soak the mats in benzine and then rub them shiny on an old vegetable chopping board -- came up good as new. Some comps were known to wash them with Daz, rinse them off and then put them in the sun to dry ... I always thought the benzine the better (and less lazy) way of getting the crap off. As far as Lino mats were concerned, they ran better down the magazines (course ... you have to clean the mags as well!

Ken Smith

The mat cleaning rubbers where I used to work were quite hard and a red colour, very similar to the ones that were used in the days of writing with a pen and ink.
I cannot see mats lasting very long using an abrasive block like railway modellers use to clean rail track.

AJT

Well done Ken
Yes they where RED I'm sure, but when I think back the only thing about the size of a rubber that I can for the life of me think of was those red magnetic quoin's holding the mats on the galley while you cleaned them - I'm sure them magnets was red! ;D

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚