Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Making a protection plate for part a49DD, the Pump Trip Tube

Started by John Cornelisse, March 14, 2015, 01:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Every now and than some lead drops might fall between the lead pot and the machine.
                           It should not happen, but who is able to prevent it always ?

Behind the leadpot there are two holes, that allow us to reach a few parts inside the machine.

These parts are essential for controlling the pump action.
                           Part a49DD, the pump trip tube. Here also a piecs of the page of the book of parts.

Whenever some lead drops fall on this part, the pump action might be obstructed completly:
                           no action at all, ot the other way: it cannot be put off.

It is sure possible to clean it there, but with all the pipes at that place, and the unit adding attachment there...
                           You might better prevent it. The adjustments are quite precise mentioned in the manual, but... because these
                           adjustments are rarely done... very few of us have any experience with it, it might take a lot of time to do it.

Better safe than sorry: I made a plate to minimize the possibility that lead drops will ever reach this place:

The lid falls behind the wall of the machine and gravity will help to keep is in place. Some copper plate was
                                              used for it, a few little monotype screws and nuts to keep the parts together.

Bluescret

Another time, we have come together to share excellent comments on this issue.

John Cornelisse

I thought that there were some pictures in the item, of the protection plate I did make for my machines... Should I make a few more ?

Dave Hughes

Quote from: John Cornelisse on April 25, 2018, 03:50:48 AM
I thought that there were some pictures in the item, of the protection plate I did make for my machines... Should I make a few more ?

Hi John, it would seem that there is an issue with Postimage hosted pics appearing on the site at the moment. Not sure when/if this will be resolved.

In the meantime, the only way to post images is to either host them yourself and use the "insert image" button (not practical for most people) or click "attachments and other options" at the bottom of the post box, file sizes are quite strict on this option, so images will need to be optimised.

There is free image-hosting here:

https://imgur.com/ - just upload a pic then copy the URL of it and use the "insert image" button above the post box (picture of Mona Lisa).

I've just done a test and it appears new images added using the Postimage blue button do appear. Not sure what is going on at Postimage, I'm looking into it.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

John Cornelisse

I thought, there were some pictures there... but those are gone...I will try to make some other. But this will  take some time...

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚