Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow Model M Sans Stuck Plunger

Started by Mechanic, January 14, 2015, 12:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

Finally got the Ludlow model M running at Pimpama. After removing the stuck plunger and checking the lockup I attempted to cast a slug. The plunger went down and cast a slug but nothing came out. I found the slug inside the machine. On close inspection I found that just about every part of the line delivery was bent out of shape. Even the plates that supports the slug as it is being delivered were bent. My training in brute force and stupidity paid off, after removing the delivery slide several times and coaxing the parts back to where they were meant to be I was able to cast slugs and have them delivered. The cooling system still has to be looked at, but at the speed we operate I don't over heating will be a problem.  How the line delivery became to be so badly damaged I have know idea and I hope I never find out.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚