Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Xmas Mystery Machine

Started by Dave Hughes, December 17, 2014, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

We haven't had one for a while, so I thought it was time for a mystery object challenge.

No clues at this stage!

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Dave, I have absolutely no idea what it is. From my observation of the illustration I can see what appears to be a paper tape, as I don't see a keyboard I can only assume it is some form of paper tape reader. Following that line of thinking is it a device for assembling lines of type using punched paper tape?
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

You're on the right lines George, but I'm looking for the name of the machine, and the inventor.

John Cornelisse

The machine was invented in the middle of the 19th century,. It was a machanical composing machine using cold type. When the Monotype recorder pages will be published on this site, there will be a source to look through.

I have a number of an old Dutch printers periodical, ub t is also a picture of it. Cannot find it at the moment. Where did I put it ?

Whenever it is found, I will add it to this pages.

Mechanic

Is it an updated paper tape version of the Aldentype invented in 1857?
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes

OK, we are well into the New Year now, so time for a clue:

The machine was invented by a Scotsman, and at one time part of the Manchester Guardian was composed with the machine. It was also used to typeset a book, published in 1874 called " Italy and France: An Editor's Holiday" - the typography of the book was undistinguished, but readable.

John Nixon

Hi Dave:

it is a Mackies Steam Type Composing Machine.

Cheers

John

Mechanic

Good one John. The boys from the pressroom seemed to be impressed with the machine.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Absolutely spot on John, well done!  ;D Very good illustration as well, better than the one on my original post, which came from one of the Monotype Recorders recently posted in the Library.

Fancy having a go at setting a "Mystery Machine" or similar post yourself. I bet you've got a few more decent illustrations kicking about.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚