Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Missing Monotype Recorders

Started by John Cornelisse, November 09, 2014, 07:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

At this moment I'm scanning all Monotype Recorders in my possession. In due time they will available for all of us in pdf-format.

There are however some gaps, I woul be obliged when some of you, could help us fill these gaps...

The oldest recorder I have is from 1913. No 135.

In this recorder I found the death-announcement of Tolbert Lanston. After this my first recorder is number 192. After this is my collection quite complete. "Only" the following 14 numbers are missing:

* 1923 vol XXII    195
* 1924 vol XXIII   202 203
* 1925 vol XXIV    207
* 1926 vol XXV     211 215 216
* 1928 vol XXVII  226
* 1932 vol XXXI   247
* 1933 vol XXXII  no 4
*          vol 37 no4
*          vol 38 no3 & 4
* new series 10

In due time I will visit the University library of Amsterdam, they have a complete series - bound - starting 1905. Scanning all this is quite an enterprise.

Again: I would be very obliged with scans from these 14 recorders.

Thanks in advance.

John Cornelisse

The latest information I got from the UVA-library in Amsterdam, is, that vol 37-no 4 never was issued.

So that number does not exist at all.

A few numbers are available in more languages than English only. So have there been volumes in Dutch, German and French.

The collection in Amsterdam is almost complete from the start, but it is bound in several big volumes and not directly available for scanning the content.

Dave Hughes

Over sixty Monotype Recorders have now been posted on the site here: Metal Type Library: Monotype Recorder.

Many thanks to John for his work in scanning them in, remember, if you can fill any of the gaps, please get in touch.

QuoteIn this recorder I found the death-announcement of Tolbert Lanston. After this ,y first recorder is number 192. After this is my collection quite complete. "Only" the following 14 numbers are missing:

* 1923 vol XXII    195
* 1924 vol XXIII   202 203
* 1925 vol XXIV    207
* 1926 vol XXV     211 215 216
* 1928 vol XXVII  226
* 1932 vol XXXI   247
* 1933 vol XXXII  no 4
*          vol 37 no4
*          vol 38 no3 & 4
* new series 10
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

A few of the Monotype Recorders have recently been updated. A log of updates and additions to the collection can be found here: Monotype Recorder Updates.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

John Cornelisse

I've informed at the University Library of the Gemeentelijke Universiteit of Amsterdam.
At the department "special collections" there is an almost complete collection Monotype recorders.
Starting around 1902 or 1903.  Only a few numbers missing I'm told.

In due time this will be all scanned. But this line of nooks is rather placed at the end of the pipeline.

Within a few weeks I will visit the library, and I have permission to make photo's of the periodical.

Most numbers are bound in big volumes... this will be some task to get it right without any damage.

There is even more Monotype material, like Monotype Newsletters.

quadibloc

I want to thank you very much for your efforts!

I was particularly pleased to find a scan of the Winter 1956 issue, volume 40, number 4, with its information on setting mathematics. For my purposes, it is almost as good as a copy of The Printing of Mathematics by Chaundy et al.. However, that scan has a couple of minor problems.

Page 17 is missing. And there's a glitch on page 25, obscuring part of a line in the upper half of the page.

John Cornelisse

dear teaboy

I will scan those pages again... we might add those pages at this website,
but when you sent a little email to me, you will get the jpg's in your mail.

Just as fast as possible.

my address: enkidu1947 (at : gmail dot com)

best wishes

John Cornelisse

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚