Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Regional Production of National Newspapers

Started by Rachel Matthews, October 02, 2014, 10:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Rachel Matthews

I am wondering if any of your site users might be able to help. I am researching the history of the regional press (having worked in it myself as a journalist) and am currently looking for information on the regional production of national titles. I understand that they were printed in Birmingham at some point as well as Manchester but my knowledge is sketchy.

Dave Hughes

I'm guessing that newspaper titles found themselves with duplicate production facilities as they acquired or took over other titles. Business was less "cut throat" then, so they would retain the facility instead of simply closing it down to save money. Printing in regional centres would save on distribution time, which then used the rail network.

I'm just guessing. Perhaps someone else has more info on this subject.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Barry Adams

Jim Crichton

The Scottish Daily Mail was produced in Edinburgh at theTanfield works for approximately 23 years.I Worked a Four shift system as a linotype mechanic before leaving the firm in 1966 to become the Monotype engineer for Scotland.the Company ceased to produce not long afterwards with production transfering back to Manchester

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚