Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

First Elevator Problems

Started by Dave Hughes, August 04, 2014, 08:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Hi Pete, we have plenty of Linotype engineers on the Forum.

What is the problem with the one at Cambridge?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Peter Stanners

When the first elevator goes up to transfer mats to the second elevator it doesn't come down tp the home position. Any clues?
Pete

Dave Hughes

Thanks for posting Pete, I've moved the post to Technical Help.

It might be relevant to post the Lino model number.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Bill Berkuta

I am a Lino machinist and can answer the questions about Linotypes.

Mechanic

Hi Pete, First elevator hanging at the transfer position can be dangerous to both machine and operator.

My experience is mainly with American Linotypes, but in this area I think they are the same.

Some of what I say you may already have tried. I'm assuming that the transfer takes place and that the second elevator takes the mats back up to the distributor. If this is not the case then it could be a vise automatic problem.
With the power off lift the first elevator up to the transfer position by hand and see if it wants to hang there.  Make sure that the first elevator head is not binding on the transfer channel. if it is you may need to reposition the gibes that guide the first elevator.

When the first elevator goes up to the transfer position two things happen the duplex rail is detracted to allow any mats in the upper rail position to be pushed to the  regular position for the transfer to take place. The rail is retracted by two little levers each side of the first elevator head. The rail is held out by tension springs connected to the levers. These levers should move quite freely. If they are tight they could cause the first elevator to hang at the transfer position. To check the free movement, remove the springs. The best way to do this is to remove the screws that hold the springs. The springs are quite strong. When the springs are removed check that the levers are moving the duplex rail are free to move. Before you do this check the two little blocks that operate the levers are screwed in tight

If every thing seem to be in order put a smear of grease on your thumb and rub it on the top of the lever that comes in contact with the blocks that operate the levers.

Without seeing the machine it is hard to guess what is the cause of the problem is. As I'm in Australia that is not likely to happen. Good luck.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Pete Stanners

Can you advise with a problem on a Linotype Machine. The first elevator up after transfer of mats to the second elevator.

Pete Stanners

Sorry, it should read: the first stays up after transfer of mats to the second elevator. It is not getting jammed at the top because it can be released  by backing up the clutch.
Pete

Mechanic

You are saying the machine stops at that point?

If That is the case look at the clutch handle.  Coming from the vice you will see a lever coming out and contacting another lever that runs through the clutch handle pivot point. Follow the lever that is coming from the vice and you will see another lever that has a roller. The job of this lever is to pull the vice automatic stop rod out of the way when the mold disk comes forward to eject the slug. The roller may have a flat on it. There is a raised surface inside the first elevator that that contacts this roller at the transfer position. Check and make sure this surface isn't worn

The attached drawing may help.

If this is not the problem we will have to look at the safety stop that stops the machine if the line is not transferred correctly.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Pete Stanners

Thanks, guys, for your input and suggestions.
Firstly, the Machine is a 3-magazine model 48.
Unfortunately, the museum where this machine is located only opens for 3 hours on a Sunday during summer and every 4th Sunday during winter.
I hope to be going there in a couple of weeks and will certainly check out your suggestions and also try to be more precise about the stoppage problem with the first elevator.
As I said I am a retired Lino Op, but haven't touched a machine for about 28 years, so it took a  little while to familiarise myself with the machine
and only had about an hour to do this and try to fathom out why it was not working.
Anyway, as I said earlier, thank you for our comments and, hopefully, can get it resolved and get the machine running.

Pete Stanners

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚