Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Mystery Machine

Started by Mechanic, August 03, 2014, 02:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

So, the wording on the top of the machine is in a foreign language, or perhaps just a generic model name?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

I have no idea what is written on top of the machine too many letters for IBM. It could be a guide to the operator.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

At the same time IBM was promoting this machine, Mergenthaler was also looking at the same market and had built a machine to do the job. the following is a quote from the article.

QuoteMergenthaler joined forces with Lin, who was already something of a celebrity in America owing to his two New York Times bestselling novels.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

Although Jeffo found the answer early on in this little puzzle, and let it continue I think it is time to reveal the answer. In fact we had another similar machine as a mystery machine before.

Go to the following web site and scroll down to "How the Chinese Typewriter Developed" and you will find the uncropped photo and the details.

http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/topic/31704-the-thing-you-want-to-know-about-chinese-science/page-27

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

A link to a video showing the machine in operation --

https://archive.org/details/modern_business_machines_for_writing

I you don't want to see the rest of the video jump in to 12min 34 secs and follow the film to 14 min.

There is a large amount of history collected on this subject which I will collate if somebody wants it though while intrigueing to me the subject may not interest print buffs

Dave Hughes

Well done George! I can't believe we've all fallen for the old "Chinese typewriter" puzzle again.

It would explain the female operator's utilitarian clothing.

I thought they looked like the one below, but it would seem I'm a little behind the times.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚