Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Old Bacon Factory Put To Good Use

Started by Mechanic, May 12, 2014, 06:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

The Brisbane Sunday Mail carried a story of interest to Type and Letterpress enthusiasts. I hope the scaned images are readable.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

Clint Harvey, in the above story, is determined to keep hot metal alive. He recently heard that Mercier Typesetters were closing their hot metal operation in Sydney and scrapping 14 line casting machines. This included Ludlows, Intertypes, Linotypes and a lot of other equipment that went into making a hot metal typesetting business. Rather than seeing them scrapped he flew from Brisbane to Sydney. and purchased the lot. He isn't sure what he is going to do with them except store them in shipping containers. But he said "Once they scrapped they are gone and you can't get them back."

That is dedication!
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Des Cater

I would agree 100% with this. At the Heritage Print Museum at Pimpama just north of the Gold Coast we are dedicated to just that effort. A big thumbs up to Clint Bob and his team. If he needs help we are rady to do just that.

Mechanic

Clint Harvey is hard at work clearing out the composing room at Mercier Typesetters. He is posting a number of photos on Facebook as he goes. Here is a couple I would like to share.

A real treasure a Model 1 Linotype

He found this nostalgic verse, by Beatrice Warde, tucked away in a corner of the room.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚