Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Is this the first Linotype?

Started by Mechanic, February 27, 2014, 05:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

Is this the first machine to set a line of type? It is certainly not the blower machine.
Found this photo on:-

http://letterology.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation-10.html

QuoteThe very first Linotype machine invented by Ottmar Mergenthaler in 1885. This machine was the first to produce Lines-o-type automatically by keyboard operation. It ushered in machine typesetting compostion and revolutionized book and newspaper production.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

It looks like a band machine.

Very interesting article, they seem to have a huge collection at the Museum of Printing in North Andover.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

I particularly liked the picture of the Moon Landing stereo plate, good that someone had the foresight to keep it.

Note: The "Add image to post" feature of the Forum has recently been upgraded. Where previously a thumbnail was posted that needed to be clicked on "to take a closer look" there is now a dropdown list of options. This image has been posted using the "640X480 (for message boards)" option.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

John Nixon

Taking a close look at the imposed form it is interesting that the photo is a full blown old style zinc engraving, yet the main headline is one of the "new style" thin zincs that became a popular cheaper replacement for things that came from the process department.

Looking at the kerning on the main headline it was clearly either photo-set or a clever paste-up person has done some hand kerning.

Cheers

John

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚