Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Hello and a question

Started by Alan F, December 18, 2013, 03:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Alan F

Just wanted to say hello. Been out of printing for well over 10 years but was previously a master printer for 25+years. I'm sure I registered on here many moons ago but couldn't find any trace of my usual login details.

As to my question, could someone help me out with the old business card sizes - extra third, small bus etc?

Cheers.

Alan.

Dave Hughes

I'm no expert, only really started getting back into practical printing recently. I use a size called "reduced smalls" they measure 54 X 89mm.

Sure they must be loads of other sizes, some of which probably drift in and out of vogue.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Alan F

Chris

Business cards sizes I can remember:
Thirds 3in x 1 1/2in
Extra thirds 3in x 1 3/4in
Smalls 2 3/8 x 3 5/8in
Town 3 x 2in

Have printed thousands of these in my time on an Arab platen!

William Amer

There are a myriad of card sizes that were used in British society over the years, and this information forms part of the notes that are given to my students when they front for my Letterpress 101.2 classes here in Rockley, near Bathurst in NSW, Australia. It was in a time when the presenting of a card was quite a formality. I suspect the modern oriental world still lingers with that British tradition, a throw-back to colonial days. Suffice to say, many would be surprised at the origins of the Reduced Small.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚