Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Abandoned Intertype C4

Started by Mechanic, October 15, 2013, 06:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

Nine years after I found the machine and gave it up as a lost cause, the C4 cast its first lines on March 3, 2014.
We replaced the mercury bimetal mouthpiece control with a simmerstat, cleaned mouthpiece with an oil stone, checked the lockup, set a 30 em 8pt line sent it away and cast an almost perfect line.

Still a few mechanical problems to solve but for all intents and purposes the Intertype is a functioning machine.

The new Funditor control with simmerstat circuit is below. Red = Active, Black = Neutral

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

listohan

Congratulations!

There should be a category in the Australia Day honours: "For services to hot metal type awareness".

jockellis

The typesetters at the South Georgia (USA) newspaper where I was sports editor for a time would say that you need to cast in a typo or two.

Mechanic

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Brilliant work George, another linecaster brought back from the dead.

Looking forward to hearing about your next project!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Well I'm not sure about the next project Dave. Des has the Printomatic turning over and feeding paper, not printing but has a fitter and turner making some need parts. As I was leaving yesterday I saw a pile of rusty iron with a name plate 'H. S. Cropper & Co'. I believe once the rust is removed and the parts assembled  we will have a platen press.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

According to this very informative article on the British Letterpress website, it would appear that the press would have been made before Henry Cropper died in 1893.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

We are moving across the paddock to a new shed that will become the print shop. No power as yet. I'm told that is in hand.

NEW HOME
Printomatic and cropper presses are already there

ON THE MOVE

THERE IN ONE PIECE

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚